Friday, July 20, 2012

Winterpeg.... Not so much

Sorry this is so late I've been lazy/ busy and haven't gotten around to posting it.
I road tripped with my cousin from the cabin to Winnipeg, it was a lot of fun, I love that we can go so long without taking and when we see each other again it's just natural.
Winnipeg was HOT and humid, but a lot of fun.
When I first got there on Sunday night there was this weekly event called cruise night going on so we were driving down Portage(ave? St? Dr? - I don't remember ever hearing that part of it) there were all of these beautiful cars with us, classic cars, expensive cars and fiestas( yes that car belongs with them). The next day everyone was working so I just occupied myself at home and then my cousin and I went grocery shopping for the week at Costco, when we were hungry, that is never cheap and this was no different, but we got some really good food.
The next day my other cousins girlfriend and I spent the day together because he and his sister both had to work. We went to this place called the forks, it's like an indoor farmers market, it was pretty cool, a lot of original stores selling really neat stuff I had to be careful not to spend to much. We found this free exhibition there with weird Canada facts like there was a month in the late 1800s that the niagara falls stopped flowing. Apparently some ice chunks got stuck and formed an ice dam, so the bottom of the falls emptied out and they found all of these artifacts from the war of 1812. - I thought that was pretty neat.
So my flip flops had broken at the cabin the week before, and thanks to a pintrest tip I had been holding then together with a bread tag until it broke too, leaving me walking around the forks with one of three things happening; 1) the shoe pretending to be fixed and then tripping me up in public making me look like I didn't know how to walk 2) me walking with a limp to keep foot and flop together or 3) me walking barefoot on the city streets no matter what you choose I was CLASSY. So we headed to the st vital mall to look for the hiking sandals I wanted. We went into this store called urban trail and there was the cutest sales guy working there. He tried to convince me to buy Birkenstocks, even though when I think of that shoe I either think of a good looking guy or an aged hippie, but I tried them on and they were comfy, but they didn't fit just right and it took me a good half hour to decide that a cute guy was not a good reason to buy them, so I found some tevas that were almost half the price of the Birkenstocks. By the time we left that store the three of us had all exchanged life stories it was fun:).
After that we met up with my cousin( the girl one) for manicures and pedicures it was wonderful.
The next day I hung out with another cousin of mine we'll call him boy cousin 2. He showed me around his work where i think they think he walks on water. Made me proud, then We went on these boats. That showed you part of the city you can't see if you aren't in the water. It was really neat, and thanks to modern technology we got to experience it together because I had to sit at the back of the boat and he had to sit at the front because there we children and elderly people saving seats which meant we got last pick. ( who's going to make a kid or an old person move? ). We saw this big ugly building they're turning into a human rights museum, but every group wants equal space, that's their right, right? Haha part of it reminds me of a pyramid which I found slightly amusing seeing as those were built by slaves.
Then we went to the ledge grounds do I could take a pic with Louis reil for face book and entitle it "keeping it reil" . The Winnipeg ledge grounds are beautiful they go right down to the river. It was a lovely walk.
Then he took me to this vegan restaurant called boon burger, me! Eating vegan? I never thought it would happen, the poutine was good and te burger was ok but the important part is I ate. Vegan and enjoyed it!
The next day I slept in and then me and my cousins girlfriend met up with boy cousin 1 and girl cousin( confused yet?). We went to this Greek place that took forever, but was delicious. Then my cousins girlfriend and I went to the exchange district. It was really cool lots of little vintage shops. I bought this little blue 50's flight attendant dress and the lady made a comment that presumed I wore vintage clothing all the time. I loved it! Yay for being a poser! Then we found my cousins girlfriend some awesome vintage luggage. I'm so jealous. When everyone was off work we went to this ice cream shop that was featured on a food network show. The place is an ice cream shop and it's called BDI I got a thing called a goog. It's a blueberry milkshake with bananas at the bottom , fudge and whip cream on top, it sounds weir but it was so good, then we went to a movie in the same mall I'd got to before and we ran into the shoe guy who Remembered my name so I was happy. Haha and immature obviously. The movie is hilarious and everyone should see it.
On Friday I went to work at a ford store with my cousin. She works with some fantastic people and I got to help them with this fear factor event she had planned it was crazy, bobbing in ice water for balloons, and the people who won that got to fish through applesauce to find candied crickets and worms. Yummy......not.
That night we went out to earls with her friend and I tried my new favorite mocktail. The Bellini, it's like a really yummy slush.
We spent Saturday at the Selkirk fair. It was hot but fun, we watched a lot of the rodeo stuff and I honestly think I'm beginning to tell when some one will make their time with barrel racing. Then we met up with boy cousin one and his girlfriend for poutine at smokes poutinerie. It was so good I shared the cheeseburger poutine with my girl cousin. Then we went back to my uncles to hangout/ clean because they were headed home and I had to say good bye to my cousin and his girlfriend. :( he and I have been close since we were little kids and I hardly get to see him so it was nice to spend time with him, and his girlfriend is wonderful she did a great job showing me around the city. It was nice to see them both.
The next morning I woke up and got ready to go and then we went out for breakfast with my uncle and aunt and my girl cousin before going to the airport. It had been such a great week and I loved spending so much time with my girl cousin. She's fantastic, I'm glad we are still so close. I was also happy to spend some time before I left with my aunt and uncle, they are sweet.
Then I got on the airplane. Next to a woman who didn't really speak English. So I got to watch a flight attendant try and gesture and speak slowly too her. I know that's the only way they could communicate but it was so funny. In thunder bay we waited for 2 hours to leave because there was a thunder storm. When we finally got to Toronto I found my friends who had been waiting there for two hours. I felt bad. Now I'm on to my next weeks adventure I'll try and post it faster this time:)
Those are the F.A.C.T.s!

No comments:

Post a Comment