Saturday, July 28, 2012

Niagara falls and the big TO - part duex

So I said goodbye to Barney and then wandered around the loft and found the cat I was supposed to be taking care of he is beautiful and incredibly friendly. So much so that my yoga pants turned from black to white within minutes. Once I was on the couch cuddling with him and looking out over the city I decided it would be a slow chill at home day because it was so hot and I was so comfortable. But I did need food so I went out and wandered around the little shops by Caroline's place. The area used to be and industrial area and now all these factories have been turned into lofts and businesses its really neat. I picked up only the essentials, a cheesecake caramel apple, some mini cupcakes from this cool cupcake place, some soap that looks like cheese and then I went to this cheese shop and picked out my cheese for the week from this really cute guy who apparently lives in the same building as caroline. I had already fallen in love with Toronto and I hadn't even seen it yet! I did actually buy real groceries before going back, but they aren't that interesting. So I went home, got comfy and spent the day lounging. It was wonderful.
The next morning I decided it was important for me to go to Canada's Wonderland so thanks to google maps I navigated myself from the southern part of Toronto to the town of maple (which is where the park is) for only $12 and i got to ride a streetcar, the subway and a go bus which is like a really inexpensive greyhound, and it only took an hour because Toronto transit is really easy to use.
So I got to wonderland and started wandering around, rode a few rides, but I think I've been to the Disney parks to many times because although it was a fun place it didn't quite meet the expectation I had for it. I think if I had Thought of it less as a theme park and more of an amusement park it would have been better. Also don't go by yourself to an amusement park. It's not nearly as fun as when you're with people, but I'm glad I went.
The next day I had big plans to go to casa loma, lunch with a friend from high school and the cn tower. But I slept late so I went for lunch with my friend Penny who I hadn't seen since high school and was so nervous about how it would go, but once we saw each other it was like old times. I'm so proud of her moving out to Toronto and going after what she wants. She went to school for theatre and since moving there has won parts in legally blonde and rent. We had so much fun talking at lunch that we just spent the rest of the day catching up. It was so great to see her again.
When I got home Caroline was on her way home from the airport so we decided to go out to this sushi place it was really delicious and then watch rookie blue, because it's important and filmed in Toronto so that was kinda cool.
Caroline is really cool, I don't get to see her much because she lives so far away, but she's awesome, a young, funny, beautiful, successful business woman and a great tour guide! I loved hanging out with her.
So the next morning Caroline had to work so I woke up early and went to casa loma. That place is awesome it's really beautiful and all the rooms are so different and it gave me a chance to eat lunch on the terrace of a castle! In the basement there's posters of all the movies that have been filmed there including x men! I have stood where Hugh Hackman has stood! There's also this creepy tunnel that leads to the stables in the basement which I started walking down and then went "hmm dark, damp creepy tunnel...... Who needs to look at stables! " and turned right around.
Then I got on the subway and headed south to the cn tower and got the chance to walk around downtown. If you ever want to feel tiny walk around downtown Toronto. The buildings are huge! And there are sculptures everywhere. It's a really pretty city and I never felt scared there.
So I got to the cn tower and looked out it was really. Neat and I almost did the sky walk. I really wanted to but I didn't want to spend the money for it. The gift shop was really cool too. I found these punny socks that made me smile and I went on this ride in the cn tower that moves around and you get sprayed with things it was a blast. Then I walk around and saw the blue jays stadium and then I found the water front. I LOVE the waterfront there. There are people kayaking, paddle boating and sail boating and there's all these marinas and little shops and festivals. It was my favorite part of Toronto. I actually felt like part of the city when I was there. It's very busy, everyone is always out doing something. I love it!
Then I went home and made dinner for Caroline and I so we would be ready in time for Shakespeare in the park. Shakespeare in the park was doing a midsummer nights dream set in Toronto. It was wonderful! The actors were so funny and totally in character. I think it's my favorite performance of that play. Way better than the movie.
Then Caroline gave me a night tour of downtown Toronto. I saw all the big expensive stores that I can barely afford to look at, and I drove on younge st the longest St. in north America I believe it was a beautiful drive.
The next day Caroline and I went to the st lawrence market to visit her friend who is an amazing artist this is her actual website because she's amazing and I love her art work so you should check it out she puts all sorts of things in her paintings, glass, lace, linoleum, it's gives them a really neat texture. Heres the website http://kareyspady.ca/modernartist/
Then Caroline took me to the distillery district which is this really cool area that was used back when the prohibition was going on in the states to make alcohol and send it across the border. Now they've turned it into this shopping district and condos. There were a lot of really cool stores. But I think my favorite was Soma this chocolate store with all sorts of imported chocolate I bought costa rican chocolate with Moldon salt in it I'm still craving it a week later. And I tried this spicy hot chocolates that wasn't my favorite but it was really neat. Also there are these pianos all over the place that are just out there for you to play I love it! Then we started walking down town. I got to see the much music building and a few other tv studio buildings and do some shopping on queen St. which has really original stores and is full of really neat people. I enjoyed it so much we ended up walking home having walked 8 km that day it was great! On the way home we walked into this weird baby store with really modern furniture and I recognized it from an episode of being Erica this CBC show set in Toronto.
After resting and getting cleaned up we went to beauty and the beast- it was amazing! And there were all these little girls in belle costumes- so cute! When I have kids I'd love to take them to shows like that. And the building it was playing in I recognized as the offices from another episode of being Erica haha I was on a roll that day.
After the movie Caroline took me to this restaurant called origins. It's this really neat place that - there's a special name for it that I cant remember- but you get small plates so you order lots of different foods. We had these delicious deviled eggs and a soft pretzel with mustard seed sauce and this salad and my favorite the steak and egg tostada it was delicious! - I may have missed a plate, but it was delicious and they had mocktails that were so good it was a great experience I wish that restaurant was in Edmonton.
After another episode of rookie blue( who can deny sam swarick) I had to pack up and get to sleep. The next morning Caroline took me on a driving tour of Toronto. I don't think you can ever get bored of that city! We saw tv studios, the different areas of the city, each one has it's own charm. Then we went and looked at these huge houses they weren't houses so much as estates and manors. It was crazy.
Then we went to little Italy for lunch and I had cheese cannelloni made with fresh pasta probably the best pasta I've ever eaten. It was amazing.
After that we went to the airport and said our goodbyes and I got checked in only to find out my flight was delayed. Haha I have had the best luck with planes thus far. So I got to ottawa and grabbed a cab. Now until this trip I'd never taken a cab before, but don't you think they should have a gps or something? I had to map out our trip on my phone and direct him. I found that odd. O well. Now I'm just enjoying my last few days in Ottawa before heading off to pei! I'll write the next blog soon. Promise!
Those are the F.A.C.T.s!
* again the pics seem to have a mind of there own so guess and I'll put them up on Facebook with captions when I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment